Russian Food and Recipes
Top 10 Russian Food and Recipes: Russian cuisines are a combination of the different traditions of the Russian natives. Unlike the usual cuisines that we order or make at home like Chinese, Italian, Thai or Indian, Russian cuisines are quite underrated and very less known. They are unique in their own flavors and yet are made with ingredients that are available near us. Russian food recipes are a collection of influences from Central Europe, Middle Eastern and Central Asian cuisines.
Here is an Attempt to Give Some Recognition to Russian Cuisines:
1) Beef Blini (Ingredients)
- 500 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 50 g melted butter
- Vegetable oil (to fry)
- 350 g boiled beef
- 2 diced onion
- 30 g butter
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
#Preparation (For the blini)
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, flour, sugar and salt
- Add the melted butter and whisk again
- leave it for 15 to 20 minutes
For the Filing
- Run the boiled beef through a meat grinder or chop it finely to an even texture and set it aside.
- Cook the onion in butter in medium flame till it is golden.
- Add the beef, salt and pepper and cook it for 10 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick or cast-iron frying pan. Add 1 tsp. oil and let it heat. Add three or four spoonful of blini batter per pancake. Quickly rotate the batter to make it a thin layer. When edges turn brown, flip it and cook it for a minute or two.
- Remove blini from the pan and add 2 tablespoons of filing on one side. Fold the edges and roll up.
- Repeat the same with the rest of the blini and filing.
Also Check: Chinese Food (Chinese Food Recipes)
For the Dough
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ cup warm water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
For the Filing
- 18 ounces ground beef
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 ½ tbsp. ice-cold water
- 1 tbsp. coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the eggs, vegetable oil, and salt in a measuring cup. Add enough water to fill to 1 cup. Pour it into a bowl, knead into a smooth, elastic dough. Cover it with a towel and rest it for 30 minutes.
- Dust a baking sheet lightly with 1 tbsp. flour
- Combine ground beef, onion, water, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix filing thoroughly by hand or using a fork.
- Roll out a section of the dough thinly onto the lightly floured surface and cut out 2 ½ inch rounds (Keep the rest of the dough covered with a towel to avoid drying out).
- Add ½ or 1 tsp. of filling on one side of the dough circle. Fold dough over and close the edges using fingers, shape into a crescent, join the ends and pinch them together. Place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat the same procedure with remaining dough and filling. Freeze Pelmeni for 30 minutes to avoid them sticking together.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to simmer and drop small number of the frozen Pelmeni into the simmered water.
- Stir until the meat is cooked and the Pelmeni floats on to the top for about 5 minutes. Resume cooking for extra 5 minutes. Transfer to serving plates using a fit spoon.
3) Ukha (Russian fish soup) Ingredients
- 4 cups water
- 2 cubed potatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 bunch fresh chopped parsley
- 4 ounces cubed cod fillet
- 1 juiced lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour water into a large saucepan and bring it to boil under high flame
- Add the potatoes, onions and parsley
- Heat the mixture for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the fish. Heat for 10 more minutes
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and season the soup with salt and pepper as per needs.
4) Mushroom caviar (Ingredients)
- 300 gms mushroom
- 1 diced medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mushroom
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper as per need
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives
- Rye bread to serve with
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Chop the mushrooms in quarters, and while keeping the garlic in its cloves, smash it with the back of a water glass.
- Add mustard, 3 tbsp. olive oil and white wine vinegar and mix it. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Arrange the onions, mushrooms and garlic in a baking tray and sprinkle with the sauce and roast it for 20 minutes
- Remove the cloves from garlic, pour the rest of the olive oil and dice it all together with a chopper or blender. It should be consistent for the caviar. Sprinkle salt and black pepper to taste
- Serve over rye bread and serve ith chopped chives.
Also Check: The Ketogenic Diet Plan For Beginners
- 2 cups warmed milk
- 1 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ medium finely chopped cabbage
- 6 chopped hard-cooked eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take ½ cup milk in a cup or bowl.
- Stir in sugar and add yeast to it. Set it aside until foamy, for about 10 minutes. Pour the residual milk into a large bowl.
- Add the melted butter, egg, salt and 1 cup of flour into the large bowl of milk. Stir in the yeast mixture. Mix the flour in, a cup at a time until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and doesn’t stick.
- Cover the bowl loosely and set in a warm place to rise for around an hour. Dough should triple in size.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring regularly, until cabbage has wilted.
- Mix in the eggs and add salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until cabbage becomes tender. Set it aside for the filling.
- Place the risen dough onto a flat surface and gently form into a long snake. Cut them into 1 inch pieces and roll each of the pieces into a ball. Flatten the balls using hands until they are 4 to 5 inches wide.
- Place a spoonful of the cabbage filling in the centre and fold in half to close it. Pinch the edges closer to seal in the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Arrange one or two baking sheets with aluminium foil.
- Place the pirozhki onto the baking sheet, leaving space in between for them to grow.
- Bake it for 20 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown.
6) Beef Stroganoff (Ingredients)
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 pound sirloin steak cut into thin pieces
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. water
- Place the flour in a bowl and toss beef strips into the flour and coat it on all sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté streak strips in the hot oil until browned for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the sour cream, tomato paste, salt, and pepper and stir to combine (add some water if mixture is too thick).
- Cover it with a lid and simmer over low heat until meat is cooked enough and soft at least 20 to 25 minutes.
7) Cabbage Borscht (Ingredients)
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced beets
- 4 cup vegetable stock or water
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 tsp. caraway seed
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 chopped celery stalk
- 1 large sliced carrot
- 3 cups coarsely chopped red cabbage
- Black pepper
- ¼ tsp. fresh dill weed
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 cup tomato puree
- Sour cream
- Chopped tomatoes
- Place sliced potatoes and beets in a medium saucepan over high flame and cover with stock. Boil until vegetables are tender. Remove potatoes and beets using a slotted spoon, and reserve stock.
- Add butter to a large skillet over medium heat to melt it. Add in onions, caraway seeds, and salt and cook them until onions become soft and translucent. Now add in celery, carrots, and cabbage. Add the reserved stock and cook. Cover until all vegetables are tender for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and beets to the skillet. Mix with black pepper and dill weed.
- Add in cider vinegar, honey, and tomato puree. Cover while reducing heat to medium low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve garnished with sour cream, extra dill weed, and chopped fresh tomatoes.
8) Okroshka (Ingredients)
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 2 chopped hard-cooked
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- ½ cup bologna, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup finely sliced green onion
- 3 tbsp. chopped radish
- 2 chopped fresh dill
- 2 cups buttermilk as per need
- Mix potatoes, eggs, cucumber, bologna, green onion, radishes, and dill in a bowl. Refrigerate till chilled for 30 minutes.
- Separate the mixture into 2 bowls and cover with cold buttermilk to make the soup.
Also Check: High Fiber Foods List Lose Weight