Do you want to spend your career life on a ship? If yes, you are in the right place. Merchant Navy is a Backbone of international trade as well as commercial fleet involving cargo ships, tankers, the barge carrying ships, container ships, refrigerator ships, bulk carriers, passenger ships, etc. Officer works on all kinds of seagoing vessels, who are employed by reputed commercial shipping companies. Merchant navy differs from Navy. In the Merchant Navy6, the major on the ship are Navigators, Executives, and Engineers. Executive officers monitor all activities of major departments such as deck, catering and engine room. Engineers take care of the ship. Choose a merchant navy as a career, which is considered to be a glamorous and adventurous job, especially for travel lovers. You can visit new places over the world. The career is not only for financial rewarding and also more satisfying and challenging. The import and export business comes to a grinding halt, without the merchant navy. So, start your career in Merchant navy
Job Prospects of Merchant Navy | Career in Merchant Navy
The Merchant navy has numerous job opportunities for the people who complete the merchant navy basic course and they can get a job easily through their institute placements or consultants.
Finding a job in cargo ship category is possible while comparing others.
Merchant shipping companies require well-trained people who can operate and maintain the ships well.
You May Also Like: Complete Guide for Becoming Pilot
Some shipping companies in India is Shipping Corporation of India, Great Eastern Shipping, Essar and chowgule Shipping. HOW TO JOIN MERCHANT NAVY?
More job opportunities are available in Government and Private companies like clearinghouses, Del credere agents, etc.
Eligible criteria | Career in Merchant Navy
- You must finish your 12th standard with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- Candidate’s marital status should be unmarried either male or female
- Candidates’ citizenship should be Indian MERCHANT NAVY ENTRANCE EXAM GUIDE
- Normal eye vision is required. If wearing glasses, it may allow up to plus or minus 2.5.
- Conduct entrance exam for admission through a screening test and main written examination
- After completing the test, you would be sent to an interview and a medical test
- You need to complete a short-term ship-training course prior to the employment.
Entrance exams for Merchant Navy | Career in Merchant Navy
You can apply for the entrance examination through online. In the application form, applicants should give a brief summary of the reason for applying the Merchant navy.
The exam is an MCQ pattern test involving subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English, Reasoning and General Knowledge.
Merchant deck navy officer | Career in Merchant Navy
The deck officers manage the navigation, communications, cargo, crew and overall ship. As well as have responsibility for protecting the passengers and take part in on social board events.
The Navigating officer needs to have the qualification either 12th or BSC graduate along with physic, chemistry or electronics, Mathematics. Candidate must have the aggregate of 60% in English in 12th standard. Being a deck officer, work at four levels based on the experience. How to Join Merchant Navy with 100 % Placement Guarantee
Master | Career in Merchant Navy
A person who has full responsibility for the overall safety and running of the ship, ratings, cargo, and passengers as well. Handle commercial and legal matters and retail the important ship’s records up to date.
Chief Officer | Career in Merchant Navy
A person, who works assist of the captain and supervise the deck operations and maintenance, cargo handling, and storage.
As well as manage all the work schedules and supervise other department officers.
Second officer | Career in Merchant Navy
An officer, who is responsible for navigation by using satellite, radar and computer systems, as well as monitor the speed, direction, vessel’s position and weather reports and watch duties at sea and in port.
Third Officer | Career in Merchant Navy
After your training, the third officer is the first post which deals with the safety of the ship’s equipment and lifeboats. You will assist the second officer and take over the watch duties.
Electro Technical Officer | Career in Merchant Navy
Electrical officer handles more operations on vessels which is related to the electrical system. The officer would work under the chief engineer who manages everything on a ship.
The electronic technical officer job includes:
- Working with electrical equipment and maintenance on board
- Working with electrical parts like radio communication, engine rooms, and electronic navigation needs echo sounders, weather fax, Gyro compass, autopilot, Broadcast, and internal aerial system, RADAR system, telephone, and talkback system and satellite communication as well.
- Handle basic electrical works like bridge system, refrigeration, and control rooms.
- Maintenance of emergency system includes fire alarms and detectors and emergency switches.
Electrotechnical officer works both electrical and technical aspects on a vessel.
Merchant Navy Engineering Officer | Career in Merchant Navy
Want to become a merchant navy engineering officer?
You have to complete the GCSE course including science, maths, English and if possible one or two A-levels or equivalent qualification.
Officer would operate and maintain the machinery and support systems on a ship. You should work with the ventilation system, engines, navigation and communication equipment and deck fittings such as hoists, cranes, and landing craft.
You would be qualified in accordance with your experience and qualification s, with grade has various responsibilities.
Reasons for choosing the Merchant Navy as a career
- An exciting and Adventurous profession
- Wonderful salary structure
- Have lots of responsibility at an early stage
- Good opportunities to see the world and interact with people from different countries
- Job security
- Long vacations, where you can give uninterrupted attention to your family members, friends, and your loved ones
- Excellent accommodation and food on ships
- Financial independence, start earning as a deck cadet
Merchant Salary packages | Career in Merchant Navy
The Merchant Navy, the salary can range from Rs.12, 000 to Rs.8 lakh per annum, which differs from the various company, city, seniority, export-imports needs, etc. While compared to other professions, you get decent pay in the field. If your work experience will increase, the salary would also increase.
If you make this career in the field, your life would be more adventurous. It gives you the opportunities to travel across the world. Some modern ships offer more amenities like satellite phones and the internet; it will reduce the distance virtually from your loved ones. A person gets more contacts while working with professionals from various aspects of the world.
You May Also Like: Career in Indian Air Force after 12th